Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Chair, of Cardboard






The cardboard chair is complete! After an all-nighter in the design studio and copious amounts of recycled paper and discarded drawings my final product turned out looking nothing like my original idea that I was just certain was fool proof. After discovering the difficulty of making a solid cardboard box to serve as the seat for a four legged stool I essentially inverted the model and added layers of inserts for the chair seat. The three posts on the back are primarily for structural stability although with more time and effort could have been fashioned into a functioning backrest, as they are certainly stable enough for that. The chair is approximately 24"x 18"x 24" (seat) and the posts are 3.5"x 3.5" x 48". During the building process I came up with a fairly simple and sturdy idea for another kind of stool ( still about 36" in height), but as it was a matter of time and supply I was unable to construct it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright (c) 2009 design. All rights reserved. Design by NodeThirtyThree + Free CSS Templates. Bloggerized by Free Blogger Template.