Sunday, April 22, 2012

Break Out the Butcher Knife





Here are the preliminary models of my vessel. These models were made from Styrofoam typically used in artificial plant arrangements. I chose this material because it was a simple and fairly inexpensive alternative to clay and less time consuming than wood. The model shows the design of the final box, but is inaccurate in the dimensions  as I cut it from a pre-cut cube. The lid, white, is also Styrofoam, but was purchased in a flat sheet of about 1/2" in thickness. I cut the block in the same manner and order that I would be cutting the final wood box to get a feel for the most effective way to do so while assessing the thickness of the sides and how thin I would be able to make them. Here the walls are about 1/2" thick.  The adhesive I used to construct the model is hot glue with T-pins for support in the corners. I used a large kitchen knife to carve and cut the foam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright (c) 2009 design. All rights reserved. Design by NodeThirtyThree + Free CSS Templates. Bloggerized by Free Blogger Template.